On weekends I am not always in the mood for an elaborate dish. I just want to cook a meal that is quick, and easy. These chicken meatballs fit the bill perfectly. They can also be made in large batches, and frozen. When planning to freeze the meatballs hold off on adding the Chipotle Sauce, until you are ready to serve them. The meatballs can be baked in the oven as per the recipe, or they can be fried in a pan.
Chicken Meatballs with Raspberry Chipotle Sauce
1 If you like the taste of tomato with your chicken, add 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 2 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
2 If you have another herb that you like with chicken feel free to add that as well.
3 Replace the Raspberry Chipotle Sauce with another sweet chili sauce if you do not like the smoky taste of the Chipotle.
4 Finely chopped and cooked bacon can also be added to the chicken for another layer of flavor.
5 Ground your own chicken, it is cheaper than buying already grounded chicken.
6 Chicken can be replaced with turkey for an even leaner meal.
7 Serves four as main course, more as an appetizers.
- 1 cup (250 ml) bread, torn into small bits – preferably French or Italian bread
- ⅓ (80 ml) cup milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound (450 g) ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (I like
- Fischer & Wieser Razzpotle Roasted Raspberry Sauce)
- Soak the bread in the milk until softened. About 4 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack in the upper third of the oven. Baking the meatballs in the top part of the oven help to create a nice brown outside.
- Heat half the oil in a large skillet. Cook onion, and garlic over medium heat until onion is softened, add the salt and pepper.
- Squeeze bread to remove excess milk, then discard milk. Lightly beat egg in a large bowl. Mix the egg, bread, ground chicken, and parsley. Divide chicken into 12 balls (24 pieces for appetizers) and form balls. Spray roasting dish with cooking-spray. Arrange meatballs in the pan.
- Brush the remaining oil over meatballs, bake in upper third of oven until meatballs are just cooked through, 15 minutes for cocktail meatballs and 20 to 25 minutes for full size meatballs.
- Pour the Raspberry Chipotle sauce over the meatballs while still hot.
- Serve hot or cold.